Learn how to make the best blueberry sourdough french toast casserole that is easy to prep, and so good to eat!
The crispy toasted topping, custard-like egg filling and the juicy blueberry bursts, are all wonderful and delectable tastes in this best blueberry sourdough french toast casserole recipe. Perfect for any special occasion you have coming up!
Why should you make this best blueberry sourdough french toast casserole?
This makes a delicious and fruity breakfast. The ease of having this prepped and assembled the night before (hence also known as overnight french toast casserole) and baking in the morning makes this a perfect go-to if you have a busy day ahead of you. It also lasts up to a week in the fridge and reheats well for future breakfasts throughout the week.
If you are making a brunch menu for Mother’s Day, Christmas morning, the weekend or a special occasion, this french toast casserole is a great idea to add to your list! It will be a great addition and the whole family will enjoy the wonderful blueberry flavor.
This post contains affiliate links. This means, that as an amazon affiliate, if you make a purchase, I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you.
My friend who is a great meal prepper shared this recipe with me recently. It is easy in that it requires no special ingredients or extra dishes to wash up afterwards.
If you have bread ends, or bags of bread scraps in the fridge or freezer, this is a great way to use those up! How about a loaf of homemade bread that flopped in baking? Here you go! This is a great recipe for using up leftover bread scraps.Jump to Recipe
Do you have to use sourdough bread in French toast casserole?
No you don’t! You can use different types of bread, but I personally prefer sourdough since that is what I make most of the time due to the increased health benefits of sourdough fermentation. Plus the sourdough “tang” gives such a good taste to the baked casserole.
Other types of non-sourdough bread that you can substitute: french bread, regular white bread loaf, whole grain bread, and others. I would personally not recommend using a strong bread like rye bread.
Ingredients for Best blueberry sourdough french toast casserole
- sourdough bread, cubed (a perfect way to use up bread that is several days old, or bread going stale)
- cream cheese
- honey, maple syrup unrefined or other sugar
- blueberries, fresh or frozen
- What types of milk to use? Whole milk, 2% work fine. Don’t use buttermilk or soured milk.
- Can you use a non -dairy milk alternative? I have never tried it personally. Although I might try a small batch sometime with almond milk.
- Can you replace bread with gluten-free bread? Yes, absolutely!
- There is no added sugar in this overnight blueberry french toast casserole, only a small amount of honey.
Here are some health benefits of consuming honey
- It is anti-inflammatory
- It contains antibacterial and antioxidant agents
- It can ease cough and cold irritations
How to make Best blueberry sourdough french toast casserole
Put half the bread cubes in the bottom of a greased 9×13″ pan or other baking dish.
Sprinkle blueberries and cubed cream cheese evenly on top. Place remaining bread cubes over that.
Make egg mixture by whisking eggs, honey, milk and salt together in a medium bowl.
Pour over the bread cubes in the pan. Refrigerate (covered) overnight or at least 2 hours. (Letting it sit helps the bread to absorb the egg mixture).
Pull out in the morning or when ready to bake.
Bake at 350 covered with aluminum foil for 25 minutes then uncovered for an additional 20-30 minutes. You don’t want to over bake or it will be dry.
How to serve?
I enjoy serving this with homemade blueberry sauce, homemade blueberry syrup, maple syrup or a fresh fruit salad and yogurt. I like mine more moist so I pour a little milk over my serving! Dust some powdered sugar on top and mmmmmmmm!
Breakfast sausage or bacon is a great side with this breakfast recipe.
How to store?
Store in an airtight container or covered in the baking pan with plastic wrap or a beeswax wrap. This can also be stored by dividing into individual portions if you’d like.
Tips for making Best blueberry sourdough french toast casserole?
1. For best results, you will want to not miss this important step like I did the first time I made this! Make sure you let this “soak”/refrigerate before baking so that the bread cubes can absorb some of the egg and milk mixture. Otherwise it will take a very long time to bake and may be extremely runny.
2. Day-old bread is great for this recipe, otherwise bread that is partially dried out (stale) works well so that it can absorb more of the “batter” which will prevent your casserole from being too “soggy”
Equipment you may need:
- Cutting board and knife
- large liquid measuring cup
- Mixing bowl
- 9×13″ pan or similar baking dish
Here are some additional brunch recipe links your whole family will enjoy!
I have not personally froze this myself but I hear that others have.
This will last up to a week in the fridge.
Either can be used, though frozen blueberries will let out more of their juices while baking which will make for a nicer “blueberry experience”.
No you don’t.
Reheat covered with foil in a toaster oven or regular oven, until warm. (If you don’t cover with foil it will likely dry out.)
Don’t forget to pin for later!
Best blueberry Sourdough French Toast Casserole
- 10 slices sourdough bread, cubed
- 2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 12 eggs
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1- 8 oz block cream cheese, cubed
- Put half the bread cubes in the bottom of a greased 9×13" baking dish or other casserole dish.
- Sprinkle blueberries and cubed cream cheese evenly on top.
- Place remaining bread cubes over that.
- Make egg mixture by whisking eggs, honey, milk and salt together in a medium bowl.
- Pour over the bread cubes in the pan.
- Refrigerate (covered) overnight or at least 2 hours.
- Pull out in the morning or when ready to bake.
- Bake at 350, covered with aluminum foil for 25 minutes then uncovered for an additional 20-30 minutes. You don't want to over bake or it will be dry.
- Serve with toppings right away while warm